The Norwood News of 31 August 1928 featured plans for the new Streatham Hill Theatre as part of a larger development to include a cinema and palais de danse. See the front page here, with thanks to Streatham Society.
Streatham Hill Theatre (SHT) was designed by W. G. R Sprague and W. H. Barton, with a capacity of around 2800 and a stage the size of the London Palladium. It formed part of Streatham’s theatre and entertainment offer when the area was known as “The West End of South London” and (due to the wealth of talent living in the area) as “The Beverly Hills of London”.
W. G. R. Sprague was also the architect responsible for some of the most beautiful and well-known theatres in central London.
The London County Council approved the plans on 26th October 1927.